Autumn is one of the most beautiful times of the year to enjoy nature in all its glory. The cooler temperatures, vibrant leaf colors, and crisp fall air make it the perfect time for various outdoor activities. Whether alone, with friends or family, there are numerous activities that are particularly fun in autumn. Here are some suggestions with specific tips to make the most of this season outdoors:
1. Kayaking: Fall is a great time to get out on the water before it gets too cold. Kayaking allows you to experience the autumn landscape from a whole new perspective. Pack warm clothing to protect yourself from splashing water, and choose a calm lake or river near you.
Tip for kayaking in Germany: The Mecklenburg Lake District in northeast Germany is a paradise for kayakers. You can choose between numerous lakes, such as Müritzsee or Plauer See. The region not only offers beautiful scenery, but also well-marked waterways and canoe rest areas for breaks.
2. Hiking: Hiking in autumn is a real pleasure. The cooler temperatures make longer hikes more pleasant, and the colorful autumn leaves transform every hiking trail into a great backdrop. Make sure you wear appropriate hiking shoes and clothing and choose a route that suits your fitness level. Don't forget to take a thermos of hot tea or coffee with you to warm up in between trips.
Tip for hiking in Germany: The Bavarian Forest National Park in Bavaria is an excellent destination. Here you will find well-marked hiking trails that lead you through untouched forests and to breathtaking viewpoints. The “Goldsteig” is a well-known long-distance hiking trail in this region. Alternatively, there is the Harz in Lower Saxony, where you can climb the Harzer-Hexen-Stieg or the Brocken.
3. Fishing: Fall is one of the best seasons for fishing as many fish species are particularly active during this time. Find a fishing spot on a quiet lake or river and enjoy the silence of nature. Don't forget to bring the correct fishing equipment and a valid fishing permit. You could even catch your dinner and cook it around the campfire.
BOXIO - WASH PLUS - Waschbecken Starter Set
BOXIO - WASH PLUS - Waschbecken Starter Set
Tip: Germany has numerous lakes, rivers and coastal areas that are ideal for fishing. Some popular places are Lake Constance in southern Germany for trout and pike fishing, the Müritz in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania for pike and zander or the Baltic Sea for sea fishing. Follow local fishing regulations and, if necessary, obtain a fishing license.
4. Bird watching: In autumn there is a real migration of birds that make their way south. This is the perfect opportunity for bird watching. Get a pair of binoculars and a bird identification book, dress inconspicuously, and find a suitable observation point in a park or lake. You will be amazed at how many different species of birds you can see.
Tip: Germany offers a diverse bird world. The Müritz National Park in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania is a paradise for bird watchers, especially in autumn. The Spreewald Biosphere Reserve in Brandenburg is also known for its bird diversity.
5. Collect nuts: Autumn is also the harvest time for nuts such as walnuts, hazelnuts and chestnuts. Go to the forest or a park and collect nuts to crack directly or prepare delicious recipes. Don't forget to take a basket or bag to collect your finds.
Tip: Forests and parks in Germany are full of nut trees in autumn. The Black Forest in Baden-Württemberg or the Bavarian Forest are great places to collect walnuts, hazelnuts and chestnuts. Make sure you only collect ripe nuts and respect the environment.
6. Outdoor Picnic: Nothing is cozier than a fall picnic. Pack a basket with your favorite foods and drinks and find a nice outdoor spot to enjoy nature. Don't forget to bring a picnic blanket to make yourself comfortable. A fall picnic can be a romantic getaway for two or a great family adventure.
Tip: Germany has many picturesque places for an autumn picnic. The English Garden in Munich or the Schlossgarten in Stuttgart are ideal picnic spots. There is probably a small forest or lake near you. Remember to bring a blanket, warming drinks and hearty food such as delicious pumpkin soup.
7. Fly a kite: The autumn wind is perfect for flying a kite. Build your own kite or purchase one and find an open area like a park or beach. Soaring is not only fun, it's also a great way to enjoy the cool fall air.
Tip: Open fields and coastal areas are ideal for kite flying. The North Sea coast, especially St. Peter-Ording in Schleswig-Holstein, offers optimal conditions. In inland regions, large parks such as Tempelhofer Feld in Berlin or the English Garden in Munich can be used. Pay attention to safe wind conditions and clear flight paths.
Whatever activity you choose, remember to respect nature and leave no trace. It is also always advisable to obtain information in advance about the weather conditions and any restrictions in your chosen area. With these tips you can enjoy autumn to the fullest and experience unforgettable outdoor moments. Pack your things and off you go on your personal autumn adventure.
Your Boxio team